Now that it is vacation season, are you itching to get out of the house and are you ready for some adventure? Traveling is great for so many reasons – but if you have varicose veins you need to take special care of yourself while traveling. Read on for some tips about how to stay healthy while you’re out on the road.
Varicose veins are those blue or purple veins that bulge out from the skin. They may not cause any pain at all, or they can cause a lot of pain. They result from weakened vein walls, which disrupts how the blood flows – it starts to pool and forms varicose veins. This can be dangerous if you have to stand or sit for too long, such as with certain occupations – and when traveling!
If you are going to be spending a lot of time on a plane or in the car for your vacation, there are some things you can do:
• Stay hydrated. This is good for your muscles and your veins, with the added benefit that you’ll have to stop often for bathroom breaks, which will give you an opportunity to walk around.
• Stop for breaks. If you are on a long car trip, it is important to stop every hour or so to get out of the car and walk around. This helps the blood to flow properly.
• If you are on a plane ride and taking a walk isn’t an option, you can flex your feet. Point your toes towards your body for 10 seconds and then down for 10 seconds.
• Wear compression stockings to keep swelling down and help the blood flow.
• Try deep breathing. When you just can’t get up and walk around, taking some deep breaths can help to get the blood flowing a little bit better.
• Wear loose clothing that won’t restrict your blood flow.
Take care of yourself while you are out on the road, and have fun! But if your varicose veins are keeping you from traveling and enjoying life, remember that Dr. Sammy A. Zakhary can help. Contact the Glendale, Arizona, office today. Call (623) 258-3255 for an appointment!