Has your doctor warned you that you have poor circulation? Or maybe you can just tell without a formal diagnosis, because of the constant muscle cramps, throbbing, swelling, tingling, numbness, painful varicose veins, and always-cold toes and fingers. Of course, your doctor can help you to ensure your blood circulation is healthy – but that doesn’t mean you can’t do some things at home to help yourself as well.
Take care of yourself!
A healthy you always starts with some self-care at home. For healthier blood circulation, try these tips:
• Light stretching. You can stretch while you are standing or sitting – either one will improve circulation.
• Working on your posture. When you are sitting or standing, having proper posture can help with your circulation (and it may also help improve your mood, help you to breathe better, and prevent backaches).
• Massages. You probably don’t need too much convincing for this one. A professional massage is great, but your circulation will also benefit from a massage chair or a handheld device.
• Staying hydrated. When you are dehydrated it can lead to problems with blood pressure (and all other kinds of problems as well). Experts say you should drink half of your body weight (in ounces) per day.
• Exercise. You don’t have to take part in a strenuous sport to get the benefits that come with exercise – even taking a walk is a great way to improve your circulation.
• Compression stockings. The pressure from these stockings can help your blood flow, can help to keep your legs from getting sore and tired, and can help reduce the risk of a blood clot if you have to sit or lie down for a long period of time.
• Quitting smoking. Smoking narrows blood vessels and can cause the feet and ankles to swell.
If you have poor blood circulation and it is causing you pain or discomfort, it may be a sign of a serious health issue. Home remedies are great to help you find some relief, but you may need the expert help of Dr. Sammy A. Zakhary. Contact the Glendale, Arizona, office today at (623) 258-3255 for an appointment!